Thursday, September 20, 2007

Travel Write

A 1962 Vogue Magazine jet-setter (photographed for Domino).

If it is possible, I am probably more obsessed with reading about travel than I am with art and design. Although I can't get away as much as I would like, I am constantly attempting to educate myself as to where I would go next, if I could. Here are a couple of new travel resources hitting the scene:

In October, Conde Nast is set to release Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places, a collection of travel essays by both fiction and non-fiction writers.


I am a big fan of The Hotel Book series. Available soon from the same group at Taschen is the lushly photographed, Great Escapes Around the World, which has a coordinating website when you are ready to make a reservation.


Town and Country Magazine added the Travel Issues in 2003, but they have also recently launched a new Travel Site which combines the magazine's quality with a broader spectrum.


And here is a photo from my own travels: Ravello, Italy 2005. I do my own "travel writing" of sorts on Trip Advisor. It is one of the best resources for unbiased reviews and candid hotel photographs.

I am curious, what are your favorite travel resources and sources of inspiration?

14 comments:

Laura said...

That book of Unforgettable Journeys sounds right up my alley! I can't wait to check it out. I've probably read some of your reviews on TripAdvior; it's such a great site. Do you have any recommendations for places in Mexico (that aren't crazy expensive)? We'd really like to take a vacation there.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to Travel Advisor. I have bookmarked it. The cover of Unforgettable Journeys looks very interesting. My current obsession is to travel to Marrakesh and visit Maryam and to go on a Camel Safari.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I have only been to Zihuatanejo, Mexico on the Pacific Coast and Cancun (but that might as well be Miami). We LOVED the hotel, Villa del Sol and the little town has some nice places to eat and shop. The beach was a little crowded for my taste, but it was probably because we were there during Christmas.

Since getting there is a big part of the expense, you might want to consider the Carribean side if you are flying from Atlanta. The plane ticket will be about half the price. I would love to visit Maroma, which is about an hour south of Cancun.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Patricia, that sounds like an unforgettable journey in itself. Keep us posted!

Style Court said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for the Conde N book update :)

ALL THE BEST said...

I'm obsessed with reading about travel too. I want to go with you Patricia!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I love the way you scanned the top image! Pefect for this post.

Jane Flanagan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - I'm glad you like. Yours is fantastic. I've bookmarked it instantly and am now lusting after my Mum's old monogrammed Irish linen. (Would she notice if it went missing?)

KellytheCulinarian said...

I love the Lonely Planet travel books too. The Green Guides are also great for photos and details. I don't get to travel as much as I'd like, but at least with books I get to dream!

Laura said...

thanks for the tips!

Brilliant Asylum said...

Thanks for the comments!

Kelly, I used Lonely Planet to backpack through Europe in college and it was invaluble. I also kept a copy in my purse my first year of living in New York. It was so full of fun facts, neighborhood maps and cheap eateries. I would have been lost without it!

Jane, thanks for coming by. I am sure we will all be seeing more of your wonderful blog.

franki durbin said...

we sound like twin souls! I have wanderlust as well. BTW, you've turned me on to some awfully good books here, my dear! thanks for such a colorful, provoking post!

cotedetexas said...

Wow! Your picture is gorgeous! Do you have your travel pictures on line anywhere? I'd love to look at them. Who's the loving couple?

Joni

- Susan - said...

Hi,
you blog looks great, reads great. Welcome to blogland, you are already very successful! Congratulations.
I bookmarked TripAdvisor.
And I love your Ravello picture! It is so romantic.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Until soon