Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Extra Closet Space

Photograph by Paul Costello for Domino Magazine, February 2007.

It has come to my attention that there are a lot of people out there in blogland are looking to turn their spare bedroom into a luxurious, oversized closet. While my best advice would be to call a professional designer, I can offer this do-it-yourself dressing room, featured in Domino a couple of years back, as inspiration for a budget, weekend project. I accidentally recycled this particular issue a long time ago, but was happy to discover photos of Olivia Chantecaille's room makeover on fellow closetphile So Haute's blog.


Although the font is now too small for me to read, this is what I can remember from the article:

Step 1) Buy some basic garment racks. (These are by Elfa).
Step 2) Cover with inexpensive fabric and decorative accents using a glue gun (this is the part that is easier said than done).
Step 3) Combine low-budget furniture pieces (the ottoman and mirrored vanity are from JC Penney) with an more expensive looking decorative accessories, like the floor-length, gilded mirror.
Step 4) Add wall hooks for belts, bags and jewelry
Step 5) Hang clothes and enjoy!

12 comments:

Kirsten said...

I absolutely love this idea! I just don't have the space or that much clothing to fill a whole room! My 2 year old daughter does :)

pve design said...

Like Bonnie Cashin, her clothing and accessories were on display like that of a "boutique" which I would love to do or to have a room off my bedroom for such a space.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I honestly don't have enough clothes to warrant needing such a large closet, but the idea is fun to dream about. Just having room to step back and see what your are wearing seems luxurious to me. Perhaps I could convert my laundry pile to something similar. : )

I also love the idea of being able to see everything you have at once--like the Cashin boutique. I love that dressing room too!

alis said...

I wonder if moths and dust are a problem for this type of open-plan closets. I love how it looks and my clothes aren't very happy crammed in a closet, but I'm afraid of the sunlight fading their colors and dust making them look dirty.

Brilliant Asylum said...

You make a good point. I think Eva Lorenzotti's closet is still the one to beat in terms of style and function.

Fifi Flowers said...

loved that before and after closet space... who couldn't use more closet space! more closet... more shoes and handbags!

Anonymous said...

Great post and thanks for the mention! I totally agree with you re: Eva Lorenzotti's closet...to die for!

porter hovey said...

Yes! We all need some extra space . . . I guess one can only dream.

Crispy Banana said...

I live on the Upper West Side in Manhattan. My plan is to eventually make the extra room into a walk in closet. See, I really have a master plan. I just need to get the apt to myself first...

Anonymous said...

I've thought about doing that exact thing. I'm not sure how to get my husband excited about it, though.

Anonymous said...

Great idea here. A little complex for me but still cool.

-Zane of ontario honey

Anonymous said...

hermes
golden goose
yeezy
bape hoodie outlet
supreme outlet
air jordan travis scott
jordan shoes
golden goose
golden goose sneakers
fear of god clothing