Monday, October 8, 2007

Mapping It

Christopher Columbus with compass, map and navigation instrument

In honor of the great explorer, I thought I would post some rooms featuring maps and globes. In my own house, I keep an atlas on a stand. I realized I was referencing it so much, there was no need to ever put it away.

India Hicks Harbour Island home from Domino. If you like the chair fabric pictured in the background, Stylecourt has a great post on it today.

A paper map creates privacy for an otherwise see-through French door. (From Better Homes and Gardens, Sept. '07).

This room was created with only $150 worth of inexpensive maps. Room designed by David H. Mitchell for Southern Accents 2005.

Bathroom designed by Kendall Wilkinson.

Map collector and dealer, W. Graham Arader III hangs sections of this 1733 map over the stairwell. This is the first wall map of the American colonies to be created. (Photography by Simon Upton for Decorating with Pictures).

Elle Decor 2006, via Katiedid, who has more great maps and globes in her July archive.

Happy Columbus Day!

17 comments:

Style Court said...

Oh my, you were far more clever than me today! Brilliant.

I love that view of India's living room too. Thanks for the mention :)

Sarah Dennis said...

BA, another great post, BRILLIANT! I love it! Did you see Holly's post about globes? http://decor8.blogspot.com/2007/07/globes-as-decor.html#links

Apparently, globes are the next big design trend. I'm currently on the look out for a black and white one to put on my desk.

Things That Inspire said...

Great post! So imaginative. The fabric is available through Lee Jofa. The David Hicks line has some amazing designs!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Perfect post for the holiday! Well done. I love maps - framed, not to read. Just ask Mr. Blandings about our Napa trip sometime; apparently, you're not supposed to turn the map upside down.

Brilliant Asylum said...

You read my mind, things that inspire!

Thanks for the nice words SC and SD. I will check out Decor8 now.

Unknown said...

Ton's of Fun! I love maps and globes they are so timeless. Very clever tie in with Mr. Columbus.

girl meets glamour said...

Great post! I love all these spaces, esp. the bathroom with the wallcovering.

~Kate

KellytheCulinarian said...

What a classy way to bring travel into decor! Looks great. I just saw some brilliant walking maps of famous cities around the world at Eastern Market that I may pick up next week.

Style Saves the World said...

That french door with the maps in the panes is fantastic! I used to have a door just like that in an old apartment... I wish I'd thought of that!

TIG said...

These are great, especially the French doors.

p.s. I should have specified 30 degrees celsius, which is about the same as where you are--I'm alarmed as well--where is Fall?

Anonymous said...

What a great way to commemorate the day! Very clever. I've always loved maps and globes. I have a collection of French & Italian maps that I've collected over the years during trips to Europe. I adore them. I am glad someone else enjoys them too!

Suzy said...

Love the map behind the french door idea, how clever!

Mélanie said...

I love that "mapping ambiance " the curtains of my office are made with this kind of design from Pierre Frey ..and I love them

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Love that last pic esp! Love the old map against the pillows!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, BRILLIANT. I LOVE LOVE LOVE maps, this post is so fun to look at, thank you!

Melissa

Anonymous said...

love the map wallpaper.

they are all really gorgeous. i love beautiful things that are at the same time utilitarian.

great post

Anusha said...

best option to build a great modular kitchen...
Modular Kitchen Chennai
Office Interiors in Chennai
Home Interiors in Chennai