Friday, December 28, 2007

Inspiring Films and Pretty Linens

Yesterday, I went to see one of Habitually Chic's movie recommendations, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Based on Jean-Dominique Bauby's memoir, this tragic, beautiful, inspirational and funny film proves worthy of all its critical acclaim.

In addition to having an excruciating, but elevating story, the movie maintains the chic aesthetic that would presumably surround an editor of French Elle, even in his darkest days in the aftermath of a paralytic stroke. Bauby's narrative is gorgeously translated by director Julian Schnabel to create one of the most enlightening and moving films I have seen.

One of the small roles as Bauby's speech therapist is played by Schnabel's striking wife, Olatz López Garmendia (above left with Marie Josee Croze), whom some of you may know better from her line of bed linens and sleepwear, Olatz. While I know it is a tough segue from debilitating stroke to luxury linens, the point of Bauby's story rings clear: beauty and imagination can rise above even the most desperate circumstances.

Julian Schnabel on set with wife Olatz in pajamas of her design. Schnabel won Best Director for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly at the Cannes Film Festival and is nominated for a Golden Globe.

The need for custom sheets to fit her husband's raw steel beds (along with his penchant for wearing pajamas in public) eventually led Olatz to create her own line. Influences come from locations like Havana, where the couple has worked together on set, and her native Spain.

Olatz Royal Collection, monogram appliqués are hand-sewn in Madeira, Portugal.

The Olatz shop is located in New York City. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is in theaters now.

5 comments:

corine said...

I read the book and had no desire to see the movie, but you've convinced me. I also agree with you, Olatz is beautiful beyond words.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, I do love those sheets!

Happy New Year to you! I look forward to much more inspiration from you in 2008! Always enjoy your posts...

xoxo

Things That Inspire said...

You are such a great source for the inside scoop on movies!

I did a year end post yesterday, and mention you in it, so please check it out if you have a moment. Happy New Year!

Laura said...

As an SLP and a lover of fine linens, I will definitely have to see this one! You are so right about beauty and imagination--they are essential to getting through the tough stuff life throws at us.

MABELLE said...

Wow- I had no idea! I saw this movie a few weeks ago and was A) moved, but B) impressed by the gorgeous colors and patterns in the movie (which I tried to explain to my date who just thought I was crazy). Now it makes sense! And it also makes me want to go to Olatz! Ha. Thanks for sharing!