Saturday, September 12, 2009

School of Athens

In honor of my Alma Mater's first home game this season, I thought I would post an image of "The Happening" by Lamar Dodd, a painting depicting the frenzy on the field after the Georgia Bulldogs won the National Championship in 1980.

Football tie-in aside, as many locals know, Lamar Dodd (1909-1996) is the namesake of the University of Georgia's School of Art and was a highly influential administrator and respected artist of the mid 20th century. (How cool are his Chuck Taylors?)

St. Mark's Cathedral, 1956

Cityscape, 1952

When he wasn't teaching, Dodd spent much of the 1950's traveling the world and developing his talent for symbolic abstraction and cubism. In 1963, he was hired as one of NASA's official artists. Thankfully, he returned to Georgia to continue to teach and support southern artists. Because of his influence, the Lamar Dodd School of Art is one of the best art schools in the country.

The 1963 painting above entitled "Modern Abstract" appears to be the University of Georgia Redcoat Marching Band at halftime, which leads me back to game day.

Good luck today UGA. Go Dawgs!

11 comments:

Style Court said...

I loved this post Millie! Thanks for highlighting another great southern art school and artist.

Things That Inspire said...

I love this post too - his style is unique and vibrant. I also just noticed a few books on your sidebar that look interesting. I was recently in a local designer's office, and she had the most breathtaking display of decor, architecture, and garden books on her gilded bookshelf - it inspired me to beef up my collection.

TSL said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful artist's work. The after game frenzy is so right on. Enjoyed so much.

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

I am a product of the Lamar Dodd School of Art as well as an entire family of die hard bulldogs football fans. Had not heard of "The Happening". and I can't say I that I'm familiar with Lamar's work much at all. What he captured in the painting was the pure kinetic energy of that day and of Athens almost any day in the fall. That's what I love! Great post!

Sarah said...

this is great! were you at the game? we got home at 1am! Was very exciting and nerve racking at the same time.

Furniture removals Melbourne said...

The artist is expressive with his or her emotions. I can sense the emotions through this painting.

Jobs said...

I must say the school must be very good in transforming the talents of their students, just look at these paintings, very beautiful.

plaisirs simples said...

great post! i'm actually an auburn girl but what an amazing ambassador for UGA! beautiful images too....love the converse :)

custom picture frames said...

As a native Georgian, I like the custom picture frames for the Georgia Bulldogs pieces. Smart not to add a mat for some of these...they're better without a mat, which "tones down" or "neutralizes" the energy of a picture often enough. I remember that 1980 national championship..."Hail Mary full of grace, Notre Dame's in 2nd place!"

Unknown said...

Larmar Dodd 1963 uga abstract for sale. Contact penneygriffin@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

supreme outlet
off white shoes
bapesta
retro jordans
supreme clothing
off white outlet
supreme outlet
goyard bag
supreme sweatshirt
hermes outlet online