Monday, January 28, 2008

Doris, Bernard and Balaban

Susan Sarandon and Bob Balaban on the set of Bernard and Doris

If you are a Doris Duke enthusiast, then the upcoming HBO film, Bernard and Doris may be the cable movie for you. With an A-list cast (Susan Sarandon and Ralph Fiennes) in the title roles as the tobacco heiress and the loyal, but creepy butler who gained control of her fortune, we know the acting will be good. That said, I am more excited about the directorial vision of Bob Balaban, who was also the major creative force behind one of my all-time favorite films, Gosford Park.

"Balaban is a subtle director, able to sketch a believably grand world on a miniscule budget and give dramatic shading to the privacy inside." -Joan Juliet Buck, Vogue.

Doris Duke's personal story is just as wild and fascinating as her global sense of style. While this particular film focuses on her later years, spent tending her gardens and changing her will, Balaban is the man to bring her world of beauty to life. With Long Island's Old Westbury Gardens standing in as Duke's estate, we know the setting will be spectacular as well.

The former Phipps estate was not one of Duke's real homes, but it plays one on TV.

Show times begin on HBO, February 9th. For more on Duke's legendary style be sure to visit Style Court's Doris Duke Archives.

15 comments:

Style Court said...

I hope this will be available in iTunes b/c I don't have HBO. But anyway, thanks for letting us know! I'm intrigued.

diana murphy said...

Thanks for this. That photo of SS knocks me out. I'll definitely be tuning in!

The Peak of Chic said...

I got rid of HBO a few months ago! Sad I won't be able to watch it!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Thanks for the heads-up - this will be a welcome respite from the dragging-on-way-too-long writers' strike.

Suzy said...

Wow, sounds amazing..will have to look for it on DVD though...

ALL THE BEST said...

Me too style court, I'd love to see this!

Miss Dashwood said...

Gosford Park is one of my all-time favorites, too ... own the vid and have watched it more times than I care to admit! So cannot wait to see the Duke biopic. Thanks for the heads up, BA!
Love your blog. Found it on Habitually Chic and now have it bookmarked.

paperlily said...

I'm looking forward to this movie. Hope it's good!

Sabina said...

Thanks. I'll look for this.

Joanna Goddard said...

can't wait!!!

An Aesthete's Lament said...

Too bad they're (presumably) not filming at her Hawaii estate, Shangri-La! That place is sublime.

Anonymous said...

yay, something to watch with an actual storyline! Either we've been buried in snow here, or it has been pouring rain...
And Gosford Park is one of my all time favs. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved Bob Balaban as the father in Ghost World...

Anonymous said...

i am so excited to watch this! i am ashamed to admit that i watched the tv movie about doris duke with lauren bacall, and i saw it in a bar!

Unknown said...

You might enjoy this audio interview with Bob Balaban, director of the HBO film "Bernard and Doris."