Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Virtual Home

Entrance Hall by Robyn Karp. (via Life Abundant).

On New Years Day, Things That Inspire created a "virtual home" as a way to pinpoint her current taste in decor in an ever-changing sea of blogger influence. I thought it was a great idea, so here I attempt to assemble and preserve my own set, based on my Thursday decorating whims.

The living room was the hardest to choose as I generally play it safe in real life, but I loved this October '07 cover of Elle Decor featuring Milly designer, Michelle Smith's living room. (via Habitually Chic). It's simultaneously young and sophisticated, wild and subdued.

My dream dining room would be modeled after that of Temple St. Clair Carr, as photographed for Elle Decor So Chic. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to talk my husband into a Saarinen table, but the mix of mid-century modern and properly traditional is worth emulating.

Windsor Smith's industrial-strength kitchen (photograph via Cote de Texas) was my screen saver for a month. Loving the robin's-egg blue floors.

A pretty bedroom by Barrie Benson featured in Domino is feminine without being frilly. (via Stylecourt).

Maybe it's the cabinetry, maybe it's the clothes, but either way, Eva Jeanbart-Lorenzotti's Closet is the one to beat. (Photographed for Domino Magazine).

A cozy living room in Aerin Lauder's Hamptons home would be the perfect library with it's David Hicks rug and lacquered walls. (Photographed for House and Garden, December 2007).

So, thank you magazines, designers and bloggers for introducing me to these lust-worthy rooms this past year. You have provided me with enough inspiration and house envy to keep me busy in 2008!

26 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I was hoping that you would do a virtual home! I love your choices; they are very sophisticated. There are some pictures I have not seen before.

I would say my favorite room of your 'home' is the living room. The architecture of the room is wonderful (that window is amazing), and I think the size is just about perfect for a living room.

I hope some fellow bloggers will create their own virtual homes!

cotedetexas said...

HI - I'm loving the whole virutal home game. Something about that dining room speaks to me. The symmetry, the table, the lamps - it just looks like such a peaceful room. I love it!! Does your current home or your furnishings relect your virtual home in any way?

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

I must agree...that robin's egg blue floor is so shiny awesome! That is my fav too.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Thanks. My actual home is such a mess right now from Christmas that I can't remember what it looks like, but I purposely chose photographs of rooms that would fall in line with my look (or the one I am striving for). I do lean toward blues, greens and am trying to incorporate a few modern elements in with the antiques we have collected. Hopefully I will have photos of my own to show soon!

beachgrl said...

I Love your virtual home! I want to go right in the kitchen and sit on the floor and soak up that beautiful color!

ALL THE BEST said...

Love your choices!! I love that dining room too...one of my favorites also!

Happy New Year and all the best in 2008!
Ronda

Brilliant Asylum said...

Let me correct myself. My house looks nothing like these amazing photographs, but this is how I want it to look. Baby steps (and a long way to go)!

Habitually Chic said...

What a great virtual home! I love your choices. It's fun to dream and be inspired and who knows, maybe your home will look like these one day!

Who Sees the Seven... said...

Oh my goodness, if I could have that kitchen when I move into a real house. That blue floor? That stovetop? Gorgeous! A girl can dream, right? Thanks for sharing and giving me something to aspire to oneday...when I stop paying NYC rent and can maybe afford something whose walls/ceilings/floors I don't share with five other people.

bronwyn said...

Lovely, very elegant. I love the virtual home idea. I like the living room you chose especially, I love the nun painting and all those fantastic windows letting in the light. Great post. Happy 2008.

Style Court said...

Love your eye Millie. That Temple St. Clair Carr dining room is one of the all-time smartest mixes I think. Never would've guessed I'd be so drawn to it.

phoenix said...

I love this idea of a virtual home...I've got an accordian folder full of ideas for different rooms - the trouble is in the choosing...!

SGM said...

What a beautiful home! Esp. love the green dining room. And the bedroom and kitchen. And all of it. You must be virtually proud!

pve design said...

Congrats on your virtual home. What a lovely place to call home. I really want to eat right off the kitchen floor!

The Peak of Chic said...

What a gorgeous mix of rooms!!! I'm with you on EJL's closet and Lauder's library. Perfection!

Laura said...

So perfect. I love, love, love that bedroom.

Joanna Goddard said...

gorgeous. that sofa at the end of the bed is so pretty. thx for the post!

/// said...

Oh I LOOOOOOVE it! Love your kitchen pic; those floors are fantastic! :)

katiedid said...

Fun idea and I love your picks! I have always waned epoxy floors. (Are they epoxy?) great mix of stuff!

Anonymous said...

Love all your rooms ;-) But my favorite is actually the livingroom! Really special! Your blog is so inspirational1

Suzy said...

Great idea...I love all the images you've posted here by the way.

Pink Wallpaper said...

will you share your ultra cool kitchen with me? i ADORE the floors.

Sabina said...

Just found you via Black*Eiffel - really great post - I especially love the bedroom!!

Sabina ~ barefoot in the orchard

TIG said...

These are all really great picks--really drawn to the bedroom and kitchen floors, though--must be the robin's egg blue . . .

whackergirl said...

I very much like this idea. You have similar taste to mine too!
I found myself at a turning/developing point when it came to style as an artist and in regards to defining my tastes in order to design the home that we are building.
I found that the website wists www.wists.com is perfect for identifying and saving in one place what you like. I know by looking at my wists that I love modern, black and white, Asian. And you can save absolutely any concept that is visual...fashion, tutorials, and of course interior design ideas.

I swear I am not employed by wists....I just have found it to be so useful!

Thanks for sharing your ideal home!

MABELLE said...

What a great idea! I have TONS of tear sheets, so this would be such a great way to really narrow down my style and define my absolute favorite looks! I'm so gonna start working on my own ;) Thanks for sharing (LOVE your choices!) and for the great idea.