Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Beyond the Garden

Speaking of having such a style-conscience neighborhood, I recognized this home front while perusing my latest issue of Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles. I have often walked past and admired this house as one of the prettiest on the street, but who would have guessed that such a classic exterior would encase this modern mix of texture and light...

Of course, it makes sense upon learning that this home belongs to Kay Douglass, creator of the South of Market mini-empire. For those unfamiliar with SOM, the shops in Charleston and Atlanta are known for their unique collection of contemporary upholstery paired with rustic, repurposed accessories.

An example: a collection of salvaged french hangers at South of Market, framed for a modern effect.

More photos of her home and the story behind the renovation here.

Top three photographs by Mali Azima for Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles, Last photograph is from the South of Market website.

15 comments:

Pam Kersting said...

I love her style of recycling old things in a contemporary way! I've always believed that good contemporary design can showcase most anything well!

Pigtown*Design said...

welcome back!!!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Wow! I love a surprise and fresh interior. Great post.

Kristin said...

Lovely!

Laura said...

The SOM in VaHi has had me very nervous, because they've had up lots of 50% off signs--I was afraid they were closing. But last night I saw a sign that said "help needed," so I'm sleeping better again.

That home is lovely.

HOBAC said...

I'm glad you are back.

Grant K. Gibson said...

I just found you mentioned on Style Court and LOVE your blog!
Glad that I found you!

Anonymous said...

Love those two chandeliers!! So raw and cool!

Xo
Eddie and Jaithan

Fifi Flowers said...

Good to see you are back... I haven't popped in in awhile... sooo glad I did... you've posted some lovely things... I will be popping in more often now... YEA!!!
ENJOY your weekend!
Fifi

andrea said...

awesome! just awesome

kelleyp said...

i die. i just shed a tear looking at that stunning interior!

Pink Wallpaper said...

i love her store and that last pic w/ the pink shades!! killer!

Anonymous said...

sorry to post this as a comment, but I don’t have your email.
I am regular visitor of your blog..
Sir i would request to write more about green architecture...
architects as architecural know more about Green eco architectural designs are reusable materials, green designs etc.. ..… Create an Eco friendly Green design… Save Earth.. interior designers Bangalore as of natural materials interior designers in Bangalore with almost modern concepts architects bangalore
po

plaisirs simples said...

so funny this is the owner for SOM's house! before i read the caption and was scrolling through the pics, I thought to myself, this style is exactly how i would love to have my house! it's funny because this summer i was in charleston and stumbled upon SOM and instantly fell in love and told my boyfriend this store was ME. i knew the owner's house would be just as delightful! thanks for sharing!

Candie Rossler said...

Speaking of classic, wrought iron doors in garden add beauty. I think it still depends on the exterior design of the house. Still, having a garden is lovely!