Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Garden Party

One of the things I love about my new neighborhood is that it is comprised of early 20th century homes surrounding a picturesque park. But because we are in the city, our yards can be somewhat limited in size (and mine is on the extreme end of that spectrum).

While the occasional outsider may scoff at our lack of acreage, my neighbors take great pride in cultivating their private gardens--some of which overlook the downtown skyline through 100 year old oaks. And as part of the neighborhood's Centennial Celebration, ten brave homeowners will open their gates to the public and nosy neighbors like myself for the Duck Pond Garden Tour.

In case you are wondering why we did not get the invitation to be part of the tour this year, it's probably because our yard looked like this...

If anyone could use some landscaping inspiration, it's the people that live here. Stay tuned for how this mud pit turned out.

The Duck Pond Garden Tour will be held on Sunday, May 17th. Tickets Available Here.

6 comments:

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I love boxwoods in containers. I just posted some pictures of my garden, the post before the joke I am posting right now. Go take a look. Gardening is one of my passions. Be sure to look me up when you post those gardens to come, I would hate to miss them.

erin said...

swoon, you live near the duck pond?! I grew up not too far from there. On our week whirlwind atl visit in october i forced my seriously jet lagged and starbucks hyped hubby to walk from the roxy down piedmont to the duck pond and beyond, all the while pointing out houses i loved growing up. reading this makes me homesick! post more pics soon, your roman fan is getting antsy!;-)

Musette said...

smaller gardens can be truly exquisite! I know of a miniscule L-shaped garden in the heart of Chicago that is heart-stoppingly gorgeous. The longest part of the L is no more than 6'wide (including the sidewalk) x 25' long (it wraps around a garage) and the patio is 25' (including the sidewalk) x maybe 7' deep - maybe. But they made perfect use of that teeny space.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Gardening has become my new obsession--although I have no idea what I am doing. I can't believe I made it this far in life without paying attention to what was growing around me.

Sweet Life, we are loving the area, but have a lot of catching up to do with the neighbors!

Terry said...

We're so lucky in Atlanta. Our small-lot neighborhoods - Garden Hills, Va Highland. Morningside, Decatur, even Ansley Park are the best places in town to live. They are walkable and human scaled. And what a great surprise to find a wonderful, cozy garden where you'd think there was no room.

As for the duck pond, you just need to keep that secret: It has Cat V charm and from a block away you'd never guess it's there.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Terry, I could'nt agree more. Atlanta has some really beautiful old neighborhoods. Why anyone would pass them over for a lot in Country Club of the South is a mystery to me.