Monday, November 3, 2008

Joye Hirsch

I was so sad to learn that one of Atlanta's great interior designers, Joye Hirsch had recently passed away from ovarian cancer. Her neutral palette and edited design style helped set her apart from the crowd in a time when Atlanta was still clinging to chintz and chotzkes.

My time working with Joye was brief, but she was instrumental in reintroducing me to the Atlanta design world after my time in New York. Her appreciation for contemporary art was equal to her knowledge of American antiques and I credit her for acquainting me with the local galleries and the work of artists like Peter Garfield. Her basement studio was also where I got to know Lee Kleinhelter of Pieces when we were both working as Joye's design assistants years ago.

Joye Hirsch's work has been photographed for numerous magazines over the years, including the most recent issue of Southern Accents where a Hanukkah table she designed is featured.

We will miss you Joye.

(Photographs by Erica George Dines for Southern Accents, November/December 2008).

10 comments:

paperlily said...

What a lovely tribute. It's very sad about her illness.

Brilliant Asylum said...

So sad. She was a good designer and a nice person.

Style Court said...

Yes lovely tribute Millie. I thought the Hanukkah feature turned out so well and I'm glad they ran it.

please sir said...

Lovely read and photos.

Anonymous said...

great blog some how i found you when i was researching things on our sons birth defect esophageal atresia and other complications. i wish you nothing but the best. I was also wondering if there is anyway if i put your link on my site if you would be able to return the favor and add my ink on your sight, i again wish you the best.

ALL THE BEST said...

Beautiful photos and an equally beautiful tribute Millie!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Millie, well written. It just doesn't seem real? I'm disappointed I missed the service. She would be so proud of everything your doing!

Anonymous said...

Hi...

I'm Joye's son. Thank you so much for your thoughts and tribute to my mom. It's truly overwhelming to realize how many people she influenced and inspired. She will be sorely missed, but it is comforting to know how fondly she'll be remembered.

- Adam

Anonymous said...

Indeed, well written, Millie.
Joye was such an amazing and talented person. I worked with her at Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles and produced this story with her when I was at SA. I can't believe we photographed that last December. What an amazing person. Thanks for the tribute. Her service was remarkable and such a loving tribute.

Jamie said...

Wow. Beautiful style, beautiful photos. Thanks for this post. I hadn't heard of Joye Hirsch prior to this. Now I am sad that I missed her!