Thursday, November 6, 2008

Lush Life

"I'll live a lush life in some small dive" - Billy Strayhorn (1915-1967)

I am not sure if the owner of Atlanta's Lush Life Home and Garden had the lyrics to this jazz standard in mind when naming his store, but it is always what I am reminded of when visiting.

Lush Life is the type of shop Jeff Lewis would patronize (in the supportive definition) if he was a local. The aesthetic is masculine and modern, yet as lush and lively as the sign on the door suggests.

And it is the only house in Atlanta with two live palms in front--not an easy feat in our winter climate.

I look forward to seeing what Lush Life's Bill Hudgins plan is for the front porch and terrace of Atlanta's upcoming Christmas House. Above is an example of one of his simple and chic arrangements photographed for Christmas House sponsor, Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles.

And in case you are unfamiliar with the aforementioned tune, I suggest picking up a copy of John Coltrane's version, recorded in 1957. It would make a great stocking stuffer!

23 comments:

Style Court said...

I also can't wait to see what he does for the showhouse. And brilliant stocking stuffer suggestion. I'm getting in the mood.

Anonymous said...

love, love the zebra fabric on the covered ottoman. wonderful stocking stuffer!

Viera said...

Amazing blue front with palms and (is it?)hydrangeas.
Zebra is great to!!
XXX
V

ryan said...

hits are rising

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

And, the window boxes are sublime. Always.

SitDownKaren said...

Love the song, love the arrangment with the ottoman.

Sabina said...

Thanks for the tip -- love Coltrane!!

Happy Friday!!

Visual Vamp said...

Ah Billy Strayhorn...What a guy!
And the shop is divine.
xo xo

hello gorgeous said...

Hydrangeas and zebra - two of my favorite things.

Would love to see a post on the Showhouse.

ALL THE BEST said...

As soon as I read your post I thought of John Coltrane! Love the photos!!

Ivy Lane said...

Now that house has curb appeal! I love the palms and hydrangeas.. Yes, please give us a glimpse of the show house for Christmas..:)

TTI said...

I love this store...it is also where I got my lovely pair of Simon Pearce hartland lamps.

thebubbreport said...

Check out a house near los angeles ave and maryland in the highlands (they have smaller palms in the front). It's hard to see, but the backyard is full of full grown palms (planted that way). I call it "The Four Seasons" because of the backyard spread!

This place looks incredibly charming. I love the dark exterior with the palms and the windowboxes! I can't wait to check it out!

becky

Anonymous said...

love the zebra fabric on the covered ottoman

Renée Finberg said...

i love that song too !

only john coltrane sings it right.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree, Thanks for sharing such a nice post. Truely involving...
Please keep up the good work. Appreicate you efforts for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am sure every one who check outs this blog loves the way the post is presented. I can't live without posting a comment on it. Every thing is nicely placed, well planned theme, Truly catching.

Anonymous said...

lovely post
marvelous

Anonymous said...

I find it difficult to add comments in the presence of praising commments. But one thing for sure the Post's awesome.
Waaaoooo great,

Anonymous said...

But frankly speaking the post's great. Really contributing to knowledge. Keep on sharing good ideas...!

Anonymous said...

If you get the idea and tracked it down do let us know about your findings.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.....for some reason Not so good for the little ones....but VERY good for the adults!

Anonymous said...

The post give a look classic in modern back ground. But even then every thing seems fit in well.